The Roofing Contractor Agreement:
Make sure that all agreements and promises from the roofing contractor are put into writing. Having this information in writing protects you and your investment. It allows you to see what the contractor plans to do with your home, what he will charge to do the work, and it will provide a written warranty on his workmanship. It is important that you retain this, and any other information given to you by the contractor. When reviewing the agreement with the contractor, make sure to address some of the important points below to your mutual satisfaction. Contractors are not authorized IKO agents.
What Should Appear on a Roofing Contractor’s Agreement:
- A detailed contractor’s warranty on his workmanship, including appearance of the finished job, length of the warranty, and how problems will be handled.
- An accurate brand name and description of the shingle and (other) roofing product(s) to be installed.
- Full compliance with the manufacturer’s recommended method of installation.Who has responsibility for obtaining the necessary permits?
- Timeliness of starting and completing the work.
- Number of squares applied.
- Protection of your home from inclement weather during installation.
- Cleanup and appearance of the work site.
- Property damage caused by the contractor and his workers.
- How will “change orders” be handled, and priced?
- Payment terms and conditions.
- All verbal discussion(s) pertaining to the job should be put into a written contract.